Explore Your Community Curriculum
A skills-based curriculum for completing daily living skills independently in the community
This comprehensive program covers the basics like Operating an Elevator and Dining in a Fast Food Restaurant, as well as Riding a Bus and Asking for Help.
Explore Your Community is a blended curriculum, seamlessly integrating print materials with video, software, and an iPad app. This blended approach increases student engagement while helping you teach students with varying abilities and learning preferences.
The print component features a heavily illustrated Student Book with problem solving and comprehension quizzes. Activities are presented in a consistent sequence: anticipatory questions, vocabulary, 2-page essay, step-by-step photos, and activity-specific social skills. The Instructor’s Guide includes lesson plans, student performance checklists, community extension activities, and role play scenarios. The 24 video segments on DVD present each activity step by step with narrators highlighting important points and relevant social skills. The Community Success Software and App, also sold separately, meld the Student Book with videos for easy-to-navigate multimedia programs.
- Anticipatory activity
- 2-page essay
- Photo sequence
- Social skill training
- Comprehension activity
- Community-based extension
The Curriculum includes: a Student Book, a consumable Student Workbook, DVD, Instructor’s Guide with a PDF disc, a Classroom License for printouts, Community Success Software and iPad App.
The Curriculum Plus includes: the Curriculum plus a total of 10 consumable Student Workbooks, the entire page set of workbook pages as accessible GoWorksheets (iPad only), and samples of communication overlays. The GoWorksheets can be used with the free GoWorksheet app or the full GoWorksheet Plus app available on the App Store.
Written by Don Bastian. Explore Your Community Student Book: spiralbound, full color, 254 pgs. Instructor’s Guide: spiralbound, black and white, 108 pages, includes a Win/Mac CD with a PDF, image library and Classroom License for printouts. Community Explorer DVD: 60 min., CC, SDH Subtitles, 2009.
Features and Benefits
- Adolescents and adults develop an understanding of social cues and expectations in their everyday life
- 24 community-oriented lessons grouped by activity such as getting transportation, or being at home with friends
- Integrates printed information with video models and role play scenarios to further generalization and understanding
- Each lesson can be used as a stand-alone or in aggregate to create a naturally occurring sequence of skills
- Use for a full-year curriculum or based on need
- Student book includes images above words as visual prompts