Math manipulative helps students grasp abstract concepts
Kids learn when their hands are purposefully engaged, while math manipulatives help students grasp abstract concepts. Hands-On Math
incorporates both big ideas to teach a wide range of standards-based
math lessons to students with intellectual disability and/or autism,
regardless of age.
At the heart of HOM is a set of four number lines used in combination
to demonstrate concepts and help solve related math problems.
Instruction is organized by unit, skill area, and lesson. Each unit
(Counting, Sets, Math symbols, Patterns, and Base ten) has four skill
areas. Photo-illustrated instructions help teachers present the lesson.
Students work independently or in small groups to solve related
problems. Both representational (pictures) and abstract (numbers and
symbols) formats are presented on the laminated Activity Cards, so differentiation is built into each lesson. Follow the photo-rich Instructor’s Guide to prepare for and set up a lesson quickly. The Guide also features a PDF CD with additional Activity Cards for lesson expansion. Printable Assessment Forms and Performance Data Sheets are are also included on the PDF CD for easy monitoring of student progress.
Features & Benefits
Components included in the Hands-On Math Program:
- Instructor's Guide: Provides step-by-step instruction for the 60 Hands-On-Math lessons, appendixes present Activity Cards and supplemental resources.
- PDF on CD with Classroom license for printouts:
Includes four folders: Assessment Forms, Supplemental Lesson Resources,
Activity and Concept Cards (standard and supplemental), Complete
- Bins with Pegs: Includes 30 small yellow and red pegs and 20 large yellow and red pegs.
- Number Line 0-10: The most commonly used number line.
- Number Line 11-20: Combines with number line 0-10 for counting, operational and pattern lessons.
- Number Line 10-100: Combines with number line 0-10 to represent numbers within 100. The only number line to use large pegs.
- Number Line Extension 1-9: Combines with 0-10 number line in addition regrouping lessons.
- Number Book: Illustrated book that includes four sections: Nubmers 0-100, Skip Counting, Even and Odd and Number Words.
- 60 Activity Cards: Laminated for writing with dry erase marker.
- Symbol Cards: Nine two-sided cards with symbols and describing words.
- 3 foam number dice: Large format foam dice showing numerals 0-5
- Standard dice: Standard dot pattern dice commonly used in games
- 0-100 number disks: Disks show numeral on one side and corresponding number word on the other.