This curriculum works well for classrooms and groups and is suited for special education and regular education students. Start by determining your students' social language needs with the Social Language Checklist. Then, choose lessons that will meet those needs. Copy or print the student activity sheets.
Specific goals and skills are addressed within the 31 Social Skills Lessons, each with:
- Preparation suggestions- High-interest activities get students excited to learn the target skills.
- Social skills story- Read-aloud stories depict common social situations, many of which take place in the classroom.
- Social skills pictures- Pictures correspond to the social skills story in the Instructor's Manual and extend the discussion and application to new contexts.
- Discussion questions- Twelve to twenty discussion questions for each lesson stimulate students to reason, take others' perspective, give opinions, determine what is important, and more
- Activity sheets- Interactive exercises springboard to discussion and practice. Use role-playing, drawing, writing, flash cards, self-checklists, and more. The last activity in each lesson prompts students to decide on times and places to practice the skills they have learned.
- Game sheets- Each unit has a game for skills review.
The units are:
- Making and Keeping Friends- Making introductions; starting and ending a conversation; sharing and offering your help; saying you're sorry; giving and accepting compliments
- Fitting In at School- Being a good listener; asking for help; saying thank you; asking questions; participating in discussions; finishing your work
- Handling Your Feelings- Knowing how you feel; saying how you feel; rewarding yourself
- Using Self-Control- When you need to cool off; teasing; when you need permission; when you're wrong; and when you're not wrong
- Being Responsible- When things aren't fair; when you're left out; being a good sport; accepting "no" for answer; handling disagreements
To see more of this product's contents:
COMPLETE KIT INCLUDES:198-page instructor's manual; 253-page picture/stimulus book; 113-page activities book plus printable/reproducible pages. (©1993)