SPOTLIGHT READING 2 SET OF 6
Students become purposeful, active readers as they develop six research-based reading comprehension skills. The content is designed to appeal to older students reading below grade level.
Each book has 11 reading lessons with three levels of controlled readability: 4.04.9, 5.05.9, and 6.06.9. Each lesson consists of a one-page, illustrated reading passage and two pages of reading comprehension questions for learning the targeted skill area, detecting the main idea, identifying details, and thinking about the vocabulary and semantics in the passage.
The reading comprehension questions are similar to those found on classroom and national reading comprehension tests. Questions challenge students to think about the reading passage and use reasoning skills. Most of the questions are multiple-choice with some true/false and oral response questions and a writing activity.
Each book targets a specific reading comprehension skill. The 6-book set consists of:
- Fact & OpinionStudents analyze what they read and determine important information and differentiate fact from personal opinion.
- Figurative LanguageContext clues and well-framed questions help students understand figurative language.
- Making Inferences & Drawing ConclusionsStudents learn to read between the lines and make logical inferences and conclusions about what they read.
- Paraphrasing & SummarizingStudents choose correct summary statements and rephrase statements from reading passages.
- Problem Solving- Use higher-order thinking skills to problem solve situations in stories. Questions require students to reason, predict, infer, and think flexibly.
- Understanding Everyday InformationRead and comprehend everyday written text such as detailed weather reports, informational brochures, written rules, correspondence, and more.
6-Book Set each book 40 pages 8.5 x 11, softcover ©2007