Construct a database using Microsoft Access lessons. Introductory database skills for middle and high school grades.
- Project Includes:
- Teacher Guide, Student Workbook, Customizable Resources, Assessment Tools, Extension Activities, Sample Files, Templates, Parent Letters, Certificates
- Tech Integration:
- Language Arts, Math, Science, Visual Arts
- Tech Skill:
- Data Management, Database, Graphics, Photo Editing
- Microsoft 365, Office 2019, Office 2016, Office 2013
- Access, Paint
Includes multiple versions for Office 2019 | 2016 | 2013
Microsoft Access introduction to database lesson plans integrate computers into curriculum. Students follow the detailed, illustrated instructions in TechnoMission to learn how to construct a simple database. They begin with by exploring a database about space exploration. Then they plan and construct a database on a topic of their choice. A table is created and field properties are adjusted. Next they design a form and finally they generate a simple report.
- Introduction to Database Lesson Plans
Students use Microsoft Access to organize and construct a unique database. They filter records to find data. Then they build a table and adjust field properties, make a form, and generate a report, becoming confident database creators.
- Readymade Step-by-Step Instructions
Student Workbook in PDF format encourages independent progress and differentiated instruction. Learners can work at an individual pace. Pictures illustrate and model examples. Sample Space Exploration database of 55 missions allows students to compare viewing options, practice filtering techniques, and add a record of themselves in a space suit!
- Advocate STEM, CTE, and ICT Learning
Promote essential technology skills for career readiness. Advance computer proficiencies to develop a groundwork in the technical skills future employers will be seeking.
- Foster Strong Soft Skills
Cultivate vital interpersonal traits and behaviors – communication, initiative, creativity, responsibility, problem solving, logical thinking, and more. Planning sheets, checklists, and challenging extension activities advance these key life skills.
Features and Benefits
Assignment 1 Space Exploration
Preview a timeline about the history of space exploration.
Assignment 2 What is a Database?
Define the meaning of terminology (e.g., table, form, record, field).
Assignment 3 About Microsoft Access
Identify parts of a database window.
Assignment 4 Look at a Table and a Form in a Database
Compare viewing options in a database.
Assignment 5 Filter Records in a Database
Apply techniques to find information in a database.
Assignment 6 Take Digital Photos
Capture a portrait of a person using a digital camera.
Assignment 7 Suit Up
Superimpose a person’s head into a space suit image to make an astronaut.
Assignment 8 Add a Record into a Database
Use a form to add an astronaut.
Assignment 9 View Astronaut Records
Display records in a database to locate specific astronauts.
Assignment 10 Cyberspace Mission Planning Sheet
Select a topic. Plan the content of a database.
Assignment 11 Blast Off on a Cyberspace Mission
Research information about a topic.
Assignment 12 Build a Table
Construct a table in datasheet view. Set field properties.
Assignment 13 Create a Form
Build a data entry form. Use Design View to edit the appearance.
Assignment 14 Add Records using the Form
Organize research information into database fields.
Assignment 15 Create a Report
Generate a summary of the records in a database.
Introduction to Database Extension Activities
- About Space Missions: Practice filtering records.
- Sort and Find Records: Learn advanced skills.
- Blast Off! Review photo editing skills.
- Make a Mission Patch: Design your own patch.
- The Moon, Mars, and Beyond: Try Internet searches.
- My Family: Create a family database.
Integrate technology into a problem solving and data management unit. Or choose a topic related to a language arts, science, social studies, geography, or history for a cross-curricular project.
- View, find, sort, filter, and add records in a database
- Superimpose two images using digital tools
- Plan and organize the topic of a database
- Use search engines to research information
- Build a new database
- Create a table and set field properties to store data
- Design a data entry form
- Organize categorical data in a database form
- Produce a report that groups and sorts records
- Revise the content and layout of a database object